Internet Access AgreementBefore you begin to access the Internet through RCN, you ("you", "your", "yourself", and/or "subscriber") must review the following terms and conditions of RCN Internet Access Service (the "Access Service"). These terms and conditions explain RCN’s obligations to you, and explain your obligations to RCN when you use the Access Service and will constitute a binding contract between you and RCN. RCN is providing you with the Access Service in consideration of your agreement to abide by these terms and conditions.
I. Terms of Internet Access Agreement
1. To make your use of the Access Service as enjoyable as possible, RCN has developed RCN’s Online Policies, which appear at the end of this Agreement and will continue to be refined and revised over time. You agree to abide by RCN’s Online Policies and agree that those policies are incorporated into this Agreement by reference. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with those policies.
2. Current account charges, including billing methods, rates, and surcharges for using the Access Service, may be found in RCN’s Online Policies.
3. You agree that RCN may: (a) revise the terms and conditions of this Agreement (including RCN's Online Policies); (b) revise its billing rates and account surcharges; (c) configure network devices to restrict, deny or otherwise limit access to particular ports or internet protocol and (d) modify the services provided under this Agreement, at any time. Any such revisions and modifications shall be binding and effective immediately upon posting the revised Agreement or other changed service offering on RCN's corporate website, the RCN home page, or on notification to you by e-mail or United States mail.
4. You agree to review the Agreement (including RCN’s Online Policies) periodically to be aware of any such revisions. If any revision to this Agreement is unacceptable to you, you may terminate this Agreement at any time by providing RCN with written notice by United States mail, or by contacting RCN customer service via phone or email. Notice of your termination will be effective on receipt by RCN.
5. You agree that, by continuing to use the Access Service following notice of any revision to the Agreement (including RCN’s Online Policies), you accept any such revisions and agree to abide by any such revisions.
6. RCN reserves the right to distribute informative e-mails to its subscribers on an ad hoc basis that it feels is pertinent to the quality of its service. These announcements may include information about revisions to this Agreement (including RCN’s Online Policies) and/or modifications to the services provided under this Agreement or other information about RCN’s services.
II. Registration Information
1. You agree to provide RCN with accurate, complete registration information, to promptly notify RCN of any changes in such information, and to verify such information as RCN may request. If you do not provide RCN with accurate registration information, you are not authorized to use the Access Service and your account may be terminated immediately.
2. YOU AGREE THAT BY USING THE ACCESS SERVICE YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD AND THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY ABLE TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT.
III. Internet Access Service
1. RCN Internet Access Service will provide you with: (a) unlimited connectivity to the Internet through RCN Internet Access Service; (b) free customer technical phone support; (c) fully licensed Internet access software, and; (d) ISDN Internet access. "Unlimited connectivity" is defined as "flat-rate (i.e. non-metered) access to the Internet via RCN."
2. The Internet is an international computer network. The Internet is not owned, operated, or managed by, or in any way affiliated with RCN or any of RCN’s affiliates. RCN cannot and does not guarantee that the Access Service will provide Internet access that is sufficient to meet your needs. You agree that your use of the Access Service and the Internet is solely at your own risk and is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations.
3. You agree that RCN retains the right, but not the obligation, to restrict or terminate your Access Service at any time, if RCN, in its sole discretion, determines that you are in violation of this Agreement and/or RCN’s Online Policies. You agree that, if RCN determines that you are in violation of this Agreement, any restriction or termination of your Access Service will be effective immediately, without prior notice. You agree that RCN will have no liability to you for any restriction or termination of your Access Service pursuant to such violation.
4. YOU AGREE THAT IF RCN TERMINATES YOUR ACCESS ACCOUNT AS A RESULT OF YOUR VIOLATION OF THIS AGREEMENT OR RCN’S ONLINE POLICIES, YOU FORFEIT ANY RIGHT TO A REFUND OF ANY PREPAID ACCOUNT CHARGES, SUCH FORFEITURE BEING AGREED TO BY YOU AND RCN AS LIQUIDATED DAMAGES AND NOT AS A PENALTY. You further agree that RCN is under no obligation to forward any email for an account canceled due to a violation. RCN reserves the right to refuse the application or reapplication of anyone whose account has been canceled for a violation, or anyone whom RCN suspects is acting on behalf of someone whose account has been canceled for a violation. RCN reserves the right to cancel or suspend all other accounts belonging to you if one of your accounts was involved in a violation.
5. RCN reserves the right to disconnect and/or temporarily suspend an account from RCN’s service without warning if in RCN’s sole discretion there is a reasonable suspicion that such disconnection or suspension would prevent or interrupt a violation of this Agreement or RCN’s Online Policies.
6. Subject to the provision of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and any other applicable laws and regulations, RCN reserves the right to remove or block access to, either permanently or temporarily, any files which RCN suspects or which a third party alleges are associated with a violation of the law, this Agreement or RCN’s Online Policies or with the account responsible for such violation. This includes but is not limited to blocking access to Usenet news articles.
7. RCN reserves the right to refuse "smarthosting" connectivity and other similar services and procedures to any user who owns or operates an open mail relay.
8. RCN reserves the right to remove, either permanently or temporarily, any e-mail that has been left on RCN servers for a period of 90 days or more.
9. If the connection to RCN’s Access Service has no activity from the user for a period of 20 minutes, then RCN may disconnect services and end the session.
10. You are responsible for verifying that the phone number your computer is dialing in order to access the Internet through RCN is a local access number. Any telephone charges associated with your access to the Internet through RCN are solely your responsibility. RCN DOES NOT REIMBURSE OR PAY AND SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF YOUR TELEPHONE CHARGES FOR ANY REASON.
11. You are responsible for obtaining and maintaining any communications equipment
necessary to connect to RCN, including modems, computer hardware and software, and long distance
or local telephone service. You are responsible for ensuring that such equipment or service
is compatible with RCN’s requirements. In addition, you are responsible for maintaining the
security of your account, password, files, network and user access, and any information you
disseminate through RCN services or other Internet services, and for all use of your account
with or without your knowledge or consent, including, without limitation, any use of your
account by minors.
12. By using the Access Service you agree that neither RCN nor its affiliates shall be held responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any loss, liability or damage of any nature caused, or alleged to have been caused, by your use of, or reliance on, any content, goods, or services available on or through the Access Service.
13. Theft of Service. You acknowledge that the right to the use of, and any benefits that may be derived from, the Access Service is personal to you and is being provided by RCN as partial consideration of your agreement to pay the charges applicable to your account. You agree not to connect the Access Service or allow the Access Service to be connected by others to any other computers, located either on or outside your premises, than are reflected on your Access Service account with RCN. The Access Service may not be used to facilitate or operate as an Internet Service Provider, “Wi-Fi” network or “hot-spot”, and you further agree not to distribute, resell, share or otherwise allow others to utilize the Access Service, either free of charge or for consideration. You acknowledge that any unauthorized receipt of the Access Service constitutes theft of service, which is a violation of Federal law and can result in both civil and criminal penalties. RCN will prosecute violations to the fullest extent of the law.
IV. Content of Communications
1. The Access Service provides you access to information, communications, software, photos, video, graphics, music, sounds, services and other material located both on RCN’s computer servers and on the Internet ("Content"). As a matter of policy, RCN does not pre-screen Content placed on RCN computer servers by any of its subscribers. Moreover, RCN does not have the practical ability to monitor, review, or restrict access to Content on RCN servers prior to its transmission or to monitor all communications between parties. The Internet also provides access to individuals and organizations who are not RCN subscribers. RCN does not have the capability to monitor, review, or restrict any Content made available by third parties on the Internet, to edit or remove any Content that is not on RCN’s own servers, nor to monitor all communications between parties. You agree that you shall be responsible for and bear all risk associated with the accuracy, completeness, reliability or usefulness of any Content available to you on or through the Access Service and for all your communication on the Access Service.
2. You agree that notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, RCN has the right, but not the obligation, to remove Content from RCN computer servers which RCN, in its sole discretion, determines to be in violation of this Agreement or RCN’s Online Policies.
3. You acknowledge that you may receive or be exposed to Content, goods or services which you consider to be improper, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, obscene or otherwise offensive. You agree that RCN will not be liable for any action or inaction with respect to any such Content posted on or through the Access Service and the Internet.
V. Copyright and Other Rights
1. The Access Service provides access to Content that is protected by copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights ("Rights") of various third parties.
2. You agree that your use of Content shall be governed by all applicable laws and regulations, and by the specific restrictions placed on such Content by the owners or licensors of the Rights in such Content.
3. You agree not to upload, download, display, perform, transmit or otherwise distribute on or through the Access Service any material (including, without limitation, any Content to which you have access through the Access Service) that is subject to another party’s Rights, without that party’s express permission or unless otherwise authorized by law. You acknowledge and agree that any such unauthorized conduct: (a) may result in termination of this Agreement, and; (b) may expose you to civil or criminal liability. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING IN ANY WAY, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT THAT RCN SHALL HAVE THE RIGHT, IN APPROPRIATE CIRCUMSTANCES, TO RESTRICT AND/OR TERMINATE YOUR ACCESS SERVICE IF YOU REPEATEDLY ENGAGE IN COPYRIGHT OR TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT OR OTHER VIOLATIONS OF THE RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES.
4. You agree that by posting or transmitting or otherwise distributing material to any public area (such as public chat rooms, message boards, newsgroups, webspace or software libraries), you are requesting and authorizing RCN to make that material available to other Internet users and that such access will result in copies of such material being transmitted to others. To the extent that such material is subject to any Rights of yours or a third party, you automatically (a) grant, and/or represent that owner of any such material has expressly authorized you to grant, RCN a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, world-wide, right and license to reproduce, publish, distribute, perform and display such material (in whole or in part), or (b) represent that the publication, distribution, performance and display of such material (in whole or in part) by RCN, is otherwise authorized by law.
5. With respect to any material stored on an RCN system at your direction , you acknowledge and agree that in the event that RCN receives appropriate notice that such material infringes the Rights of a third party, has actual knowledge of such infringement, or is aware of facts or circumstances from which infringement is apparent, RCN shall have the right immediately to remove or block access to such material. Under such circumstances, however, you shall have the right to notify RCN that such material has been removed or access denied as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material. RCN’s policy with respect to such notices is explained in more detail in RCN’s Online Policies. You also acknowledge and agree that, under appropriate circumstances, RCN shall have the right to remove or block your access to allegedly infringing Content provided by third parties.
VI. Rights in RCN Access Service Software and Other Materials
1. Your use of the Access Service gives you limited rights to use the software through which you access RCN Internet Access Service and the Internet (the "Access Service Software"). RCN grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable, limited license or sublicense to use the Access Service Software solely for the purpose of connecting to the Access Service in accordance with this Agreement. Upon the termination of this Agreement for any reason, your license or sublicense to use such Access Service Software shall automatically terminate.
2. You acknowledge that RCN and its licensors have Rights in the Access Service, including, without limitation, the Access Service Software and related documentation, certain Content provided by RCN or its licensors, the "look and feel" of the Access Service, Access Service names, subscriber interfaces, and other features.
3. You agree not to copy, modify, adapt, reproduce, translate, distribute, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any Content or any aspect of the Access Service that is owned by or in which RCN or its licensors have Rights, including, without limitation, the Access Service Software.
4. You agree that you will utilize such web space as may be allocated to you. RCN will allocate up to 10 Mb (ten megabytes) of web space without additional charge. RCN may charge you its prevailing rate for any additional web space that RCN provides to you. RCN reserves the right to monitor your web space usage and enforce web space use restrictions, which may include, but may not be limited to, the deletion of files and other materials that utilize web space exceeding your web space allocation.
5. You also acknowledge that RCN reserves the right to suspend, terminate or delete your email accounts or the content in it if there is no sign in/sign out activity (that is, your account is "inactive") for an extended period of time as determined by RCN at its sole discretion.
VII. No Warranty
1. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE ACCESS SERVICE, THE ACCESS SERVICE SOFTWARE, AND THE INTERNET IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU AGREE THAT THE ACCESS SERVICE AND THE ACCESS SERVICE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS," "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION.
2. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED BY LAW, RCN DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LOSS, DAMAGE OR LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THE ACCESS SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR LIABILITY RELATING TO: (A) LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA; (B) LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE; (C) ACCESS DELAYS OR ACCESS INTERRUPTIONS; (D) COMPUTER VIRUSES; E! NON-DELIVERY OR MIS-DELIVERY OF DATA; (F) THE NEGLIGENT ACTS AND/OR OMISSIONS OF RCN OR RCN SUBSCRIBERS; (G) ANY DEFECTS, FAILURES, ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR MISSTATEMENTS IN ANY AND ALL INFORMATION, GOODS, OR SERVICES OBTAINED ON OR THROUGH THE ACCESS SERVICE, (H) ANY FAILURE OF ACCESS SERVICE SOFTWARE TO BE YEAR 2000 COMPLIANT; AND; (I) LOSS OR LIABILITY RESULTING FROM ACTS BEYOND RCN’S CONTROL.
3. You agree that RCN’s entire liability, and your exclusive remedy, with respect to your use of the Access Service, your use of the Access Service Software, and any breach of this Agreement is solely limited to the amount you paid to use the Access Service. Because some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, in such states, RCN’s liability is limited to the extent permitted by law.
4. You may not rely on oral or written information or advice given by RCN’s officers, directors, employees, agents, authorized representatives, subcontractors or affiliates and/or their officers, directors, employees, agents, authorized representatives, or subcontractors or affiliates to create a warranty or increase the scope of warranty already established in these terms and conditions. Your rights and RCN’s responsibilities are limited to the warranties that are expressed in these written terms and conditions that have been established by RCN to govern the use of the Access Service.
1. You agree to defend, release, indemnify, and hold RCN, its affiliated companies and licensors, and its and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, authorized representatives, and subcontractors harmless from all liabilities, claims and expenses, including without limitation reasonable attorneys fees, arising from breach of the Agreement by use of, or in connection with the posting or transmission of any Content or other material by or through your account on the Access Service.
2. You agree that RCN has the right, but not the obligation, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you pursuant to Paragraph 1 of this section. In such event, you shall have no further obligations pursuant to Paragraph 1 of this section.
1. You agree that, notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, you or RCN may terminate this Agreement for any reason at any time. To disconnect and discontinue billing you must call RCN at the RCN Customer Service number listed in Section I 2 above.
2. You agree that your only right with respect to any dissatisfaction with (a) any agreement term, policy, or practice of RCN in operating the Access Service, (b) any Content available on or through the Access Service or change therein, or (c) amount or type of fees or billing methods, or change therein, is to terminate this Agreement as set forth in Paragraph 1 of this section.
3. You agree that RCN has the right, but not the obligation, to delete all program, data, or other files on RCN computer servers that are associated with your account at the time of termination.
4. Only the person whose name is on the account shall have the right to change the user id(s) and/or password(s) for the account, and/or cancel an existing account. Some restrictions may apply to your selection of user id.
5. The following fees and charges are non-refundable: Web and Publishing/Development Fees, Domain registration fees, Static IP charges, Sub Class C charges and Class C charges, and any shipping and handling charges.
6. If a prepaid dial-up account is terminated for any reason prior to the expiration of the prepaid term, RCN will not have any obligation to refund prepaid amounts. Notwithstanding, RCN will refund amounts for the unexpired term to extent such amounts exceed $50.00, which RCN shall retain as a termination fee.
7. You understand and agree that RCN has the right to suspend your dial-up service if you are delinquent in payment of any other RCN service. If you are a pre-paid dial-up service subscriber, RCN reserves the right to apply any pre-payments on your dial-up account to other delinquent services on your RCN account.
1. You agree that this Agreement and RCN’s Online Policies (which are incorporated by reference) comprise the entire understanding between RCN and you, and supersede any prior agreements or correspondence between you and RCN and/or any postings or other notices from RCN with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement.
2. You agree that, if any portion of this Agreement (including RCN’s Online Policies) is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion will be construed consistent with applicable law as nearly as possible to reflect the original intentions of the parties, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect.
3. The Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of New Jersey, excluding its conflicts of law rules. You and RCN each submit to the exclusive subject matter jurisdiction, personal jurisdiction, and venue of the courts of the State of New Jersey and the federal courts located in the State of New Jersey.
XI. Acceptance By User
1. I accept the terms of this Internet Access Agreement and agree to be bound by its terms.
RCN’s dedication to customer service means that RCN strives to maintain an Internet Access Service ("Access Service") that provides RCN customers with an enjoyable Internet experience, and an experience that is free from interference by persons who use the Access Service in an improper or unlawful manner. RCN’s Online Policies address frequently asked questions regarding proper online conduct. These policies include information on: RCN Account Charges; the content of the material that you may find on or through the Access Service; goods and services available online through the Access Service; and procedures for reporting complaints regarding a person’s online conduct.
RCN’s Online Policies, including the following list of Prohibited/Abusive Activities, are part of your subscriber agreement. Please note that if you engage in any such activities, RCN may suspend or terminate your account.
As explained in your subscriber agreement, your use of RCN Internet Access Service must be governed by all applicable laws and regulations, including all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations. In addition to other applicable laws, this includes all laws relating to copyright, trademark, trade secrets, obscenity, defamation, rights of privacy and publicity, false advertising, and fraud.
In addition to such laws and regulations, when using the Access Service you must use your best efforts to avoid interfering with any other person’s use and enjoyment of the Access Service. You must also ensure that your use of the Access Service is governed by generally accepted rules of proper Internet conduct.
Please use your best judgment, be respectful of other subscribers, and take the time to review the activities listed below. These activities are not proper Internet conduct and are prohibited activities on the Access Service. Following these rules will ensure that everyone has an enjoyable Access Service experience.
1. Prohibited / Abusive Activities
For purposes of the Prohibited/Abusive Activities, the term "content" means information or material of any type capable of being posted or transmitted on or through the Access Service, including material in print, graphic, pictorial audio, or audio-visual form.
When using the Access Service:
2. Content of Online Material
RCN Internet Access Service provides access to information, communications, software, photos, video, graphics, music, sounds, services and other material located both on RCN computer servers and on the Internet ("Content"). You should be aware that the Internet contains Content, goods and services that you may find improper, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, obscene or otherwise offensive. Such Content may not be appropriate for you or for any minors who may be accessing the Internet through your account.
As a matter of policy, RCN does not pre-screen Content placed on RCN computer servers by any of its subscribers. Moreover, RCN does not have the practical ability to monitor, review, or restrict access to Content on RCN servers prior to its transmission or to monitor all communications between parties. Thus, there may be Content on RCN servers which may violate RCN rules, and you may receive offensive and unsolicited Content that RCN cannot control.
RCN retains the right to remove Content from RCN servers that violates its subscriber agreement (including these On-Line Policies). In particular, RCN reserves the right to remove or block access to material if it receives appropriate notice that such material infringes the proprietary rights of a third party, has actual knowledge of such infringement, or is aware of facts or circumstances from which infringement is apparent. However, the Access Service provides access to users who are not a part of RCN Access Service and RCN does not have the capability to monitor, review, remove or restrict access to any Content made available by third parties on the Internet.
Accordingly, RCN cannot be responsible for any conduct, Content, goods, and services available on or through the Access Service. RCN suggests that concerned parents consider using one of the commercially available software programs capable of restricting access to sexually explicit material on the Internet. However, no parental control software is perfect. Your use of such software is solely at your own risk. RCN makes no warranties or representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any parental control software or service.
3. Privacy of Communications
RCN intends to respect its subscribers’ privacy and will not randomly monitor or disclose the contents of private e-mail or private chat room communications. However, you agree that RCN has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or disclose the contents of private communication, if RCN, in its sole discretion, reasonably believes that such action is necessary: (a) to comply with applicable law or valid legal process; (b) to protect RCN rights or property; or (c) in emergencies when a person’s physical safety is at issue.
In addition, RCN reserves the right under appropriate circumstances to disclose the identity of a subscriber to third parties in response to a valid legal subpoena and to otherwise cooperate with legitimate police inquiries and lawful civil proceedings.
4. Online Goods and Services
RCN does not control or take responsibility for any Content, goods, or services which independent third parties may available on or through the Access Service. Subscribers may receive blind opportunity advertisements, pyramid schemes, and other "get rich quick" schemes on or through the Access Service. These should be avoided or approached with ample skepticism. Please remember that RCN does not endorse, warrant, or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, usefulness, quality, or availability of any such Content, goods, or services, and your use thereof is solely at your own risk.
You should use your best judgment and exercise caution when purchasing a product or service through the Access Service. RCN will not be a party to, or in any way be responsible for, monitoring any purchases or other transactions between you and any other persons providing Content, goods, or services on or through the Access Service. RCN assumes no responsibility for any such transactions and will not mediate disputes relating to such transactions. RCN disclaims any responsibility for any such transactions even where the Access Service features or displays a link with a particular World Wide Web site.
5. Account Charges
Your monthly account charges are payable in advance. If you terminate your account, you will receive a prorated refund for any access time credited to your account, less applicable termination fee. However, if your account is terminated by RCN because of violations of RCN’s subscriber agreement (including these Online Policies), you will not be entitled to a prorated refund, such forfeiture being agreed to you and RCN as liquidated damages and not as a penalty and you may be subject to a termination fee.
You are responsible for all activities and charges associated with your account. If any unauthorized charges are made on or through your account, you are responsible for such charges until you notify RCN of a breach of security by calling RCN at 1-800-746-4726 and change your password. Please be advised that the contact person or listed owner of the RCN Internet Account is solely responsible for activities conducted through, on or with their RCN Internet Account, including activities by other persons (including minors) whether or not authorized by such contact person or listed owner. If you, or someone to whom you have given access to your account, violates the RCN Internet Access Agreement, your account may be terminated.
If you pay by credit card, you expressly authorize RCN to charge the credit card account number associated with your Account for any Access Service charges that accrue from month to month, biannually, annually, or any other subscription term. You reauthorize RCN to charge your designated credit card account each time you use the Access Service. This authorization will remain valid until you terminate your authorization in writing. RCN may immediately terminate your account, in RCN’s sole discretion, for declined credit cards, returned checks, or any other non-payment of account charges.
A billing cycle will begin on the date you purchase the Access Service and will continue for one month from that date. A new billing cycle will begin on the anniversary date of the day of the month on which you purchased the Access Service.
If you pay other than by credit card, your account charges are due on your receipt of an invoice, and payment of your account charges must be received by RCN prior to the first day of each billing cycle. Only accounts with monthly invoices of more than $50.00 can be invoiced. Your account will be considered to be in default if payment of your account charges is not received within fifteen (15) days after the date of your invoice. If your accounts is still unpaid thirty (30) days after the date of your invoice, you may have your Access Service interrupted or terminated.
If any instrument received in payment is returned to RCN unpaid, your account will be considered to be in default, and in addition to the amount due, you will be subject to a returned check charge of $25.00. If your account is canceled or interrupted for non-payment, you must continue to pay your monthly account charges. Only your written request to terminate your account will relieve you of your obligation to pay your monthly account charges.
If your account is in default, you are subject to an interest charge of 1.5 percent per month, or the maximum allowable rate under state law. If you default on your account, you agree to pay RCN its reasonable expenses, including attorneys’ fees and collection agency fees, incurred in enforcing RCN rights under RCN Internet Access Agreement.
6. RCN's Complaint Response Procedures
RCN’s dedication to customer service means that RCN takes seriously and attempts to respond to all complaints about its subscribers’ use of the Internet. This means complaints by both RCN subscribers and complaints by other Internet users. RCN believes that its customers should be able to enjoy full use of the Internet without interference by persons who use the Internet in an improper or unlawful manner.
RCN will follow the Complaint Response Procedures described below to respond to complaints from subscribers and others about RCN subscribers.
RCN will respond to any complaint that involves online activities that are Prohibited/Abusive Activities. In particular, RCN will respond to complaints that material stored on its system at the direction of one of its subscribers or for system caching purposes or to which RCN provides a link or other reference infringes another person’s copyright as provided for in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (a "Copyright Complaint") or otherwise violates the criminal or civil laws of the United States, the several states or a foreign country.
Please note that RCN has designated an agent for receiving and processing such Copyright Complaints. The contact details regarding such agent are as follows:
RCN Telecom Services, LLC
650 College Road East, Suite 3100
Princeton, NJ 08540
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Submit a Complaint:
1. Form of Complaint.
Complaints may be submitted by e-mail (email@example.com), fax, or mail.
2. What Information Should be Submitted.
E-mail with full header information provides all of the above criteria. Syslog files usually provide all but (iv). Other situations will require different methods of providing the above.
Upon receipt of such an appropriate counter notice, RCN shall promptly replace the removed material and/or cease disabling access to it unless RCN first receives appropriate notice from the complaining party that it has filed a law suit seeking a court order to restrain the subscriber from engaging in the allegedly infringing activity.
Liability for Misrepresentations.
Please note that any person who knowingly misrepresents to RCN that material is infringing shall be liable to RCN and/or the alleged infringer for any damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) suffered or incurred by RCN and/or the alleged infringer as a result of RCN’s relying on such misrepresentation and removing or disabling access to such material.
Similarly, any person who knowingly misrepresents to RCN that the material was removed or access blocked by mistake or misidentification shall be liable to RCN and/or the copyright owner or its authorized licensee for any damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) suffered or incurred by RCN and/or the copyright owner or its authorized licensee as a result of RCN’s relying on such misrepresentation and replacing such removed or blocked material.
With same-day installation, two-hour service windows and 24/7 customer support, switching to RCN has never been easier.Read Our Pledge